Friday, 7 July 2017

The Argonauts - Maggie Nelson (book review)

So I am in "Our Shared Shelf" the Emma Watson feminist book club on Goodreads. Why? I find the subject interesting and it gives very interesting and different books to read and to think about todays society. I read the books when I have time and when I get them. Sometimes I is in on the discussions, other times not. So "The Argonauts" has been on their reading list and I read it later...

Buy links
Get it as paperback here

Story
Maggie Nelson's The Argonauts is a genre-bending memoir, a work of "autotheory" offering fresh, fierce, and timely thinking about desire, identity, and the limitations and possibilities of love and language. At its center is a romance: the story of the author's relationship with the artist Harry Dodge. This story, which includes the author's account of falling in love with Dodge, who is fluidly gendered, as well as her journey to and through a pregnancy, is an intimate portrayal of the complexities and joys of (queer) family making.

Writing in the spirit of public intellectuals such as Susan Sontag and Roland Barthes, Nelson binds her personal experience to a rigorous exploration of what iconic theorists have said about sexuality, gender, and the vexed institutions of marriage and child-rearing. Nelson's insistence on radical individual freedom and the value of caretaking becomes the rallying cry for this thoughtful, unabashed, uncompromising book.
My Thoughts
All my friends and family has been talking about this book and loves it and they gifted it to me so I could talk about it with them, well It took me forever to read it and I must confess, I didnt finish it. I can read bad book and some book as so bad, or not according to my taste  that I cant finish reading them and this was one of them. Some parts I read over and over to get an understanding of what the heck the author was trying to say and after a while I realised it was just nonsens.

I do NOT understand peoples fascination over this book. For me, it was so bad and boring that I couldnt even finish it and the reading was painful, slow and boring. So cleanly this is not a book for everyone. Its amasing that 160 pages could feel so long as they did in this book, or at least the 135 pages I manage to read before seriously thinking I was about to die of boredom.

No comments:

Post a Comment